Monday 7 April 2014

A few thoughts on Gay Marriage on my 19th wedding anniversary

Today is my 19th wedding anniversary. It may or may not surprise you to know that, unlike me, my wife hasn't got a willy. Does this fact bother you? Would it bother you more if she had? The most surprising thing for me is that she hasn't booted e out yet, but hey ho, there's still time. Why did I get married? for one simple reason, to give our children a sense of stability and security. I didn't get married because I love my wife, not because I don't, I do, but I never felt I needed a public declaration of this. I didn't get married so I could have a sex life, I already had this, we'd been going out for ten years. I didn't get married because I thought life would be wonderful afterwards, it has had ups and downs. I simply got married to safeguard my childrens future.

But that isn't the whole story. We have a secure relationship and we are a team. I couldn't have achieved any of the things I've achieved without her. I have a happy home life and we share many things. For all the ups and downs we are there for each other and have supported each other through the good times and bad. If I were to day, being married would protect her and my childrens finances from the taxman.

In short, my life is happier and more secure because 19 years ago today we signed a register in the Marylebone Registry office. So the question I ask myself is this, if it has made me happy and secure, in a fair society should anyone have any right to deny anyone else such security and happiness, purely on the number of willies in the relationship? In fairness I can't say so.

No comments: