Thursday 30 August 2012

The Thursday recipe #1 - HRT Cake

The Barnet Eye is keen to promote healthy lifestyles. Having been diagnosed with cancer last November (very early stage, no effects at mo, no treatments, so don't worry), I have been increasingly taking an interest in alternative medicines and therapies. One of the more interesting things I came across was on the blog of Scarlett The Heavenly Healer. Scarlett has developed a recipe for an HRT Cake, which naturally combats the symptoms of the menopause. I've nicked the recipe from her blog, which you really should check out

http://heavenlyhealer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/one-for-ladies.html

If anyone has any similar recipes they want to share (I'd like a good one for Jewish Penecilin AKA Chicken Soup) please email me. I believe that the more we help each other, the better the place will be. I will try and publish a recipe a week on a Thursday from now. They won't all be healthy, but I hope they will all be yummy. Thanks to Scarlett for sharing her knowledge with us all.


100g soya flour
50g wholemeal flour
150g rolled oats (porridge oats)
100g linseeds
50g sunflower seeds
50g pumpkin seeds
50g sesame seeds
50g flaked almonds
100g dried cranberries
200g dried fruit.  I used golden and black raisins and figs because that's what was in my cupboard.
About 2 inches fresh ginger, finely chopped
½ teaspoon cinnamon
1½ tablespoons malt extract
400-500ml soya milk
It's easy!  I mixed all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.  Then I added the wet ingredients and stirred the whole lot together, mixing it up very well.  It needs to soak for a least half an hour so that the dry ingredients take up the liquid.  In the meantime I lined a loaf tin with baking parchment and preheated the oven to Gas 5, about 180 I believe.  When I returned the mixture was rather stiff and dry so I added a little more soya milk.  It needs to have a soft dropping consistency before being spooned into the loaf tin and popped into the hot oven for about 1¼ to 1½ hours.  You can test the cake with a skewer to check that it is cooked through.
Leave it to cool and slice it thickly.  I am told (by lovely lady) that it will keep in the fridge for up to a week if wrapped and stored airtight.  It also freezes well, apparently.
All websites advise eating one thick slice of this cake per day.  It is yummy and I could easily eat more, but I'm following instructions strictly.  Whether it is the combination of the ingredients together or whether it is all in my head, my flushing frequency has already lessened...... and I'm only on Day 2 of cake-eating!

No comments: