Saturday 28 May 2011

Viva the war on bolloxology !!!!!!

Today the Barnet Eye commits itself to the war on Bolloxology. I have been feeling jaded by the unrelenting grind of opposing the pseudo management Bollox spouted endlessly by highly paid consultants employed by Barnet Council and the dim councillors who have fallen under their spell. Every so often, I need something to inspire me and revive my flagging spirits. Today was one of those days.

One of the leaders in the global war on bolloxology is Ben Goldacre, who writes the Bad Science column in the Guardian. Todays piece is a masterpiece. This describes how children as young as nine have exposed highly paid bolloxologists - http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/28/bad-science-goldacre-brain-gym?CMP=twt_fd

It is quite incredible just how much complete utter bullshit is not only tolerated, but actively encouraged in our schools. What is even worse is that this costs us a fortune. I have come to the conclusion that it is high time schools put cynicism on the national curriculum. We should teach children to challenge that which they find suspicious, dubious or scientifically unsound. Teachers should be able to argue their points. If they can't they shouldn't be teaching. I well recall the way I was told time and time again "I'm right, because I'm right" at school. It wouldn't have been so bad, but more often than not they were utterly, completely wrong.

Anyway I'm off to watch the Champions League final. My prediction -  3-1 to Barcelona - how do I know? I feel it in my bones.

No comments: