Friday 18 March 2011

St Patricks Night - A little story for you

I wasn't going to do "St Paddy's" as a blog. As a Londoner of Irish and Australian upbringing, with staunch Roman Catholic roots, there are many things about the current concept of the celebration I'm not overly keen on, but following on from a rather ignorant comment on another blog, I felt compelled to share a little story with you.

My Grandad, James Fanning was a Dubliner. His cousin was an Irish nationalist Martyr Kevin Barry. My grandfather came to England to look for work in the early part of the last century, like many young Irish. He ended up in the British Army, fighting in the battlefields of World War 1. He was gassed and died aged 65 as a result of this in 1948. I never knew him.

On March 17th 1945, he went out for a St Patricks night drink with my Father, who was a Bomber pilot in the RAAF stationed in England. My Grandfather, a frail old man, was at the bar queueing to buy a beer, when a young and arrogant British Army officer pushed in front of him. My Grandfather was affronted. He said "Mind your manners young man" to the Officer,.  The Officer replied "Who do you think you are Mick, are you the IRA" (or words to that effect), pushed my Grandfather out of the way and laughed. My Father, who was not the most mild of men was just about to intervene, when my Grandfather pushed the Officer back and said loudly "Listen son, I was in the British Army. I was in the Somme, where the finest Englishmen I ever met were killed by the thousands. I can guarantee you this. If the IRA fight a war for a thousands years, they will never kill as many British Soldiers as the officer class of the British Army, no wait your turn in the queue". At that, the officer slunk off.

Therein lies one of the paradoxes of this great nation of ours. We have a whole hidden story and a whole hidden history. London is a meting pot, where we have all come together and we all get on. Two hundred years ago it was illegal to be a Roman Catholic - we were despised by the ruling classes. Over the course of history all sorts of races, colours and creeds have suffered prejudice, repression and in some cases violent and bloody murder. The fact that London celebrates St  Patricks night is a sign that we can put this behind us and we can live together in harmony. I hope that in as we all celebrate Paddies day, in coming years, all of London will celebrate Eid, Diwali, Christmas, Easter, Paddies Day and whatever other festivals part of our community feel is special - together and in harmony. I don't believe there is any place for racisim, intolerance or prejudice in todays society.

No comments: