Thursday 24 March 2011

Mill Hill Jewish School - Interview with Chair of Governors

Adam Dawson is chair of the board of Governors at Etz Chaim, the New Jewish Free School which plans to open in Mill Hill in September. The Barnet Eye met Mr Dawson to discuss issues raised regarding the school.


There were a few points I wanted to clarify and there were a few points Adam wanted to make to me. We decided that neutral ground would be a good place. We agreed Frattellis Coffee bar at 6pm. The meeting got off to a very bad start. Our chosen venue closes at 6pm, so we had to make a hasty adjournment to Costa Coffee.
 
I asked Adam how it was going. He said "I am starting to feel like the most hated man in Mill Hill". Welcome to the club. What is his motivation for getting involved? This was an easy question "There are not enough places at the existing Jewish Schools for the parents that want to give their children a Jewish Education". This is a statement of fact. Is the school associated with Shul in Mill Hill? "No, they are not financially backing the school, although we don't rule out asking them in future". Now I see nothing wrong with it if they were. I just asked the question to understand the nature of the proposal. Is the school only open to Orthodox Jewish Children. "No, 50% have to have a CRP form (confirmation of Religious Practise form) and 50% do not require any formal association with the faith, other than a desire to attend the school". Why do you want to take over the Nursery "It is the most financially viable site". What about the traffic "We expect the vast majority of Children to walk to school, many live in Poets Corner. We also plan to stagger opening times and offer early drop off for parents who need to get to work early, this will smooth out the traffic flow". Adam acknoweldged that once children are in, siblings may pose an issue if the family move. What about the loss of amenity "We are looking at ways to address this". Have you made mistakes in how you've engaged with the people of Mill Hill "Yes, I've never done anything like this before. I genuinely didn't realise the proposal would generate hostility". Why do you think that it has "People don't understand what we are trying to do". You do recognise that people like the nursery? "They are not being forced out by us. They have made a commercial decision to assign the lease" Adam didn't want me to discuss this any further as there are ongoing commercial decisions.
 
So what do I think, having met the man with the plan? I don't really think it has changed my main concerns, regarding traffic. These won't really hit until the school has been open a few years and parents have moved, sibling attended and the first flush of zealous  walking has subsided. I fully expect the heady late summer days of the opening term to see 100% walk to school rates, but five or ten years down the line? Often the nature of schools change. Who knows what attitude the guy who replaces Adam when he's had enough may decide. Once the school is established, the rules change. I do acknowledge that he is trying to do a difficult job. There really isn't a perfect site in Mill Hill and I can see the attractions and the advantages. He has some great ideas and has clearly put in a lot of work. I think he's been badly let down by a whole raft of local politicians.
 
Perhaps the most bizarre answer he gave me was when I asked why he hadn't fully engaged with the Mill Hill Preservation Society. He told me that he'd approached them and they'd asked him to come back when the plans were drawn up. To my mind this is far too late in the day. Had they engaged and helped him seek out sites and elicit peoples views then I suspect the school would have been viewed in a completely different light. He advised me that they plan to put the plans on public display when they have been prepared (see below). This is a sensible next step. My advice was to be as open as possible, not to align with any local politicians and to try and ensure that the wider community got something from the school. We discussed a few ideas. I wait with interest to see if these make it into the plans.
 
This is a very important local issue. I am pleased that the School is now engaging with its critics face to face. As I said before, there isn't a perfect site in Mill Hill for a new School. Is this the best of the bunch? I really don't know. If I were one of the supporters of the school, I'd lay my cards out as to why, when commercial considerations allow. I said to Adam that if I'd been the one planning the school, I'd have gone about the whole thing in a different manner. His response "With hindsight, so would I". Fair comment
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An exhibition of the plans for Etz Chaim - will be held on Wednesday 30th March3.30pm -9.00pm Ex-Civil Defence Building, 80 Daws Lane, NW7
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe some of the confusion is contributed to by a lack of clarity about who the school the cater for.The website implies the Orthodox community,Adam's statement implies 50% Orthodox intake; Adam's remit matches the intake of JCOS , the new Jewish secondary school in Barnet and relects the present Borough and local population.

Rog T said...

Hi Tel,

Please can you clarify something. When you say the intake reflects the present Borough and Local population, what exactly do you mean?

The Borough of Barnet does not have a 50% Orthodox Jewish population. I have no doubt that there are more than enough parents to fill the school, which is the issue as I see it.

I'd always advise against stating figures which may be innacurate and distract from the real issue.