Friday 4 March 2011

A free advert for Barnet Council courtesy of the Barnet Eye


I spotted this advert in the Barnet Press Today. I am affronted. As I'm a fat old bloke of nearly 50, surely a bit of Hip Hop, Locking, Popping and Waaking would do me no end of good. Sadly as I'm not 14 - 24 and I'm a bloke, Barnet Council think it's OK to discriminate against me. Don't they employ equal opportunities officers to ensure that this course is available to fat old blokes like me.  Surely that is what councils are meant to do?

I am gutted, they're shutting all of the museums for us old codgers, taking our sheltered housing wardens away and closing all of the libraries. I wouldn't mind so much if they gave us free hip hop lessons, but oh no, we are to old, fat and male for that.

Actually enough of the Daily Mail ranting. I actually think that this is just the type of thing Councils should organise for young people. I think it should be free for those that would otherwise be excluded. It does however show the complete lack of a coherent policy towards provision of activities for citizens of the Borough. I've no idea why amongst all of the cuts, Hip Hop lessons for 14-24 Women is such a High priority. It just reinforces my view that the Tories in Barnet have stuck all of the ideas for such services in a hat, pulled out a few and if they are questioned as to why they have decimated Youth Services they will say "Well look at the Marvellous Hip Hop Lessons for young women we introduced this year". Maybe someone can explain this to me

1 comment:

Mrs Angry said...

well, well, well: Mr Reasonable - do you remember Miss Blondy Waka, star of the Barnet expenses? And DJ Snips? I am thrilled to see that Barnet council is maintaing some cultural patronage, especially its staunch support of hip hop and rapping. Maybe the residents of sheltered housing would enjoy a few workshops? Or would they prefer their wardens back?