Tuesday 22 February 2011

Rock the House - Band competion at Houses of Parliament

Local Hendon MP made me an offer I couldn't refuse. He has asked me to help him find local bands for the Rock The House competition being staged at the Houses of Parliament -

For information on the competition those interested should check out the website http://www.rockthehouse.me.uk/ for more details and an application form.

Here's the press release :-

Battle of the bands comes to Hendon

21st February 2010

Hendon MP Matthew Offord has sought the assistance of local music producer Roger Tichborne to help in the quest to identify a winning local band from Edgware, Hendon, Mill Hill, Burnt Oak or Colindale. The chance to play in the Houses of Parliament, an opportunity for some recording time and the possibility of meeting music industrial professionals are just three of the benefits for a lucky band who win the Rock the House music competition in Parliament.

Rock The House is an exciting Parliamentary project, in partnership with leading music industry practitioners, which will encourage young people and new musicians to pursue a career in music and promote live music venues. At the same time it will raise awareness of the need for copyright protection measures and inform MPs and the general public as to the importance of copyright protection within the creative industries.

The list of prizes include:
·         A winners' reception at the House of Commons
·         To perform live at a top music venue in 2011 (details tbc)
·         Win Yamaha gear and instruments
·         Invaluable PR and promotional exposure
·         Network with top industry professionals
·         A masterclass from a top sound and lighting engineer
·         The opportunity to record an original CD
·         Possible opportunity to record (or be at a recording tbc), a music video
·         Loads of other runner's up prizes.
Matthew said “Roger and I may not always share the same points of view but we are both interested in playing music and giving opportunities for young people. I am very pleased that he has agreed to assist local bands to enter this competition which could lead to them entering the music industry.”

Roger commented “I'm always on the lookout for ways to help aspiring musicians. When Matthew contacted me I was delighted to be able to help. Music is a force for good and cuts across all sorts of boundaries, as I think Matthew and I have demonstrated here. We are united in our aim to make sure that the winner is from this neck of the woods"
-------------------------------------------------

I suppose some regular readers of the Barnet Eye may be surprised by the fact that, given my criticism of Matthew Offord, we should work together to publicise this for aspiring musicians in Barnet. I support anyone who is offering opportunities to our young people, which given the fantastic prizes, this most certainly is. There is more to life than party politics. I sincerely hope that a local band wins it, I know that there are plenty who are good enough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

**Blinks at the Screen**

So is it?

Manuel and the Magic Mugs?
Offord and the Tichbournes?

Whatever next!

Rog T said...

Well I'm helping our local Mp find bands for a competition being organised by the Houses of Parliament. I don't really think that doing something for young musicians is that controversial.

baarnett said...

No it's not controversial, and I (we all) wish it well.

But that doesn't stop lampooning an easy target.

Anonymous said...

So here are the rules for Matthew Cowell to decide which band he will send to the finals.

http://www.rockthehouse.me.uk/Documents/NewMPsguidelines10-02.pdf

Gems include:

3. The Competition is equally accessible to young and ‘older’ musicians / bands. The competition will have done a good service if a band in their 50’s or 60’s is ‘discovered’, equally as much as a young band

>> So how about the Hillanistas? Maureen Braun lead vocals, Andrew Harper blowing his own trumpet, Andreas 'Animal' Tambourides on the drums, Brian Coleman on the bells and whistles, John Marshall strumming his guitar?

4. Commerciality is not a defining factor. The competition is not trying to find the next Christmas No 1 – it’s about finding talent / passion.

8. At least one band member should be a resident of your constituency.

9. Can only enter once!

Mrs Angry said...

Very clever, Mr Offord. I think Mr Tichborne is not quite so easily buttered up, however.
You know, Mike Freer recently asked me to help him judge the House of Commons all party tap dancing competition, and I wonder now, oh, why oh why I told him to f

Mrs Angry said...

... off. On the other hand, I will be very busy at the GLA over the coming months, helping Brian and Roger with a load of bloggers' balls ...