Friday 24 December 2010

The Sacred Heart Xmas Carol Service Vs The Pogues

On Tuesday evening we had the Sacred Heart RC Church in Mill Hills Christmas Carol concert. The Sacred Heart is lucky to have an absolutely superb choir. There is nothing more moving than Christmas carols being sung by a choir in a church. The lights were dimmed and the choir arrived in procession carrying candles singing "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". The carols were interspersed with readings from the bible and poems from younger members of the parish. The selection included O little town of Bethlehem, Away in a manger, Silent Night, We three kings and Hark a Herald. There was a very spiritual and calm atmosphere, a perfect way to start Christmas. After the service, we retired to the hall for refreshment. There was a good crowd, especially considering the weather, well over 100 people. Whether or not you are religious, I'd heartily recommend the service to you. It was free (even the refreshments) and very uplifting.

On Wednesday night, a complete contrast. I went down to Brixton Academy to watch the Pogues "Fairwell Xmas tour" gig. I suspect that this will be rather like Don't Call Me Dave's retirement from blogging (at least I sincerely hope so). The Pogues exemplify all that is good about Irish Culture. They are a joyous celebration of life and are a damn fine band. I watched most of the gig from the front. The highlights? For me "Dirty Old Town", but it was a very striong set and Shane was in fine fettle. In a week which saw the X Factor final, I pondered if a band such as the Pogues could ever make it today. After the gig, we retired to the "guest" area upstairs with my mates Big Paul and little Paul and Boz Boorer and proceeded to have a few more beers. We finally got home around 2am (for a couple more whiskys).

In my hungover state this morning, I contemplated my Irish Catholic roots and the two very different events. I'm proud to say that it is no coincidence that music is the foundation of Irish culture. Listening to the choir I'd urge everyone who can sing to get involved. It is a simple and honest pleasure. As to the Pogues, they are a fine band, they exemplify the best of Irish Traditional music, enthused with punk rock energy. I don't think they could have emerged from anywhere else in the world, other than London.

I truly believe that London is the greatest city in the world, because it is the most creative city. I believe this is because every generation has a new influx of immigrants who continually stir the cultural pot. Before the Pogues emerged, a whole variety of music blasted out of the PA. From Uptown Top Ranking by Alitha and Donna to The Clash. It all seemed to be appropriate. Music has the power to bring people together. This can take many forms, choirs, rock bands, traditional bands. The title of the blog is "The Sacred Heart Xmas Carol Service Vs The Pogues" but in reality the two go together just fine. I just wish I could sing well enough to join the choir. I'll just have to stick to strumming along in my punk rock band ! Have a great Christmas Eve

No comments: