Tuesday 23 November 2010

Matthew Ashman Tribute Gig - The Scala, Sunday 21st Nov 2010

Nipped down to the Scala on Sunday night for the tribute gig to former Adam & The Ants / Bow Wow Wow guitarist Matthew Ashman. The gig was to mark 15 years since he tragically died from side effects of his diabetes. Matt, like me was a former pupil of Orange Hill. His place in the Ants line up for the gig was taken by another OH Alumni, Boz Boorer for the tribute. Adam headlined the show and played material only from the time Matt was in the band. Bow Wow Wow also put in an appearance as did "The Chiefs of Relief", the band Matt fronted after the demise of Bow Wow Wow.

It was great to hear the old Ants songs, the ones from before they hit the "big time". Some of them, I hadn't heard since seeing the Ants at the Marquee probably circa 1978/9. I went to Orange Hill in 1978, having departed FCHS. One massive difference I spotted straight away at my new school was how many people were in Bands. What was even more surprising was how good those bands were. I'd just started the False Dots with Pete Conway and we could hardly play. Being in an environment where everyone seemed to have a band was inspiring.

At the time Matthew was a bit of a hero as the Ants were at a level we could only dream of (we didn't gig for another 18 months and that was at the Harwood Hall in Mill Hill). Matthew split from the Ants to form Bow Wow Wow under the guidance of Malcolm MacLaren (oddly another Orange Hill old boy - albiet from a different era).  I must confess that I was rather disappointed at the time. I wasn't a fan of talcy Malcy. I blamed him for the demise of the Pistols, who were my favourite band. Although I quite liked Bow Wow Wow, I sort of boycotted them, in protest with the Malcy connection. Sunday was the first time I'd seen them and they were brilliant. The music isn't at all dated and sounded as if it could have been released yesterday. I'd love to hear a new album.

The other band Matt was associated with were "The Chiefs of Relief". They passed me by completely at the time. On sunday they were brilliant. People who don't really know music or punk always say "The Sex Pistols couldn't play their instruments". Whilst this may have been true for Sid, I happen to think the rest of them were brilliant. This was yet again confirmed by Paul Cook, drummer for the Chiefs. What always impresses me about Cook is just how much he seems to enjoy playing and how good he is. I doubt he'll ever truly get the credit he deserves, but if I could have any drummer in the world (apart obviously from Romi, who plays with us), I'd have Cooky in the band.

It was great to see Adam Ant back on form. Back in the late 1970's, the Ants used to rather polarise Punk fans. As they were more about sexual politics, many punks didn't like them at all. Those that did, loved them. When Adam went for a more commercial approach, many of the old fans were totally alienated. I can remember seeing them on Top of the Pops and thinking "What has he done!". I reacted quite violently against the new sound for a while, until one day I found myself listening to the songs on a jukebox at the Railway Pub in West Hampstead. A punter had put them on and I suddenly realised they were great songs. I announced this to a stunned table of highly beligerent Punk Rockers and a mini riot ensued.

A couple of years later, one of the wrecking party admitted to me that I'd been right and the Ants made great music. Boz has collaborated with Adam Ant on and off for a while. I was gutted to see him onstage with Adam, but only because in a perfect world it would have been Matthew up there. The band rocked, a great night.

Matthew Ashman 1960 - 1985 - Wherever you are, I hope there's a Grestch Guitar and a mighty loud amp and you've got them angels boogieing on down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post. Sounds like a fantastic gig, and I'm just sorry I wasn't there.

Broadway Blogger said...

who else was in his band Rog ? i see that Gemma and Claire from the suffrajets were rehearsing with him at Rooz in the autumn ? are they still in the line up ? Sounds a great gig. Did/do you know Adam's manager after he went solo - Stan Tippins ?