Saturday 30 October 2010

A Hectic and very musical day

It's 23:45 as I write this and I'm home, I can have a glass of wine and relax. I've been on the go since about 9am. It was the Mill Hill Music Complex Open day in association with Youth Music. We had a day of activities such as youth music workshops, recording sessions, live performances. We have two main youth music projects at the studios, Sound Skool which is run by YMCA for 14-18 year olds not in education or training. This is a ten week course and the options are Live Instruments, DJ'ing, MC'ing, Music Technology and Singing. We run a sampler workshop and showcase as part of it today. We also had Rock United, which is a holiday time paid course open to anyone, running band workshops. For the performance section of the show, we had Barnets esteemed Deputy Mayor, Lisa Rutter and her Consort Mark pay us a visit. She was suitably impressed by the show and was very friendly towards everyone. I suspect I could have sold her consort a guitar if I tried hard enough. It is fair to say she made a few friends today. Perhaps the most amusing moment was when one of the carwash customers came down and saw her car. Noticing the mayors emblem, he asked if it was a royal visit.

She also spoke to the team producing the new Barnet Youth magazine, lead by a young man called Yehia, who is a fine example of a Barnet student. Yehia's family fled from Uganda 15 years ago as refugees. They now live in Burnt Oak. Yehia is a student at the London Academy and hopes to become the first student from the Academy to do the PPE course at Oxford. His teachers recommended him and I hope he succeeds. His youth magazine has 17 people involved and they certainly impressed the deputy Mayor with their energy and enthusiasm.

When I'd finished my stint at the studio, I picked up the children and went down to St John the Evangelist church in Waterloo, where my good lady was performing a concert of music with a Magic and Horror theme. She plays with the BBC Elstree Concert Band . There next Concert is Monday 13th December at the Allum Hall in Borehamwood. The theme will be film music. A great night is guaranteed.

A busy if very rewarding day.

3 comments:

S Curry said...

I'm going to say something nice to you for change, and that is well done! I used to play the guitar all the when I was a youngster and it's good that you have somewhere for youngsters to go that keeps them away from gangs ect. I see you in a slightly different light now and for the sake of peace and quiet I will say if I offended you with my comment regarding you father then I apologise.

Rog T said...

Mr Curry,

It is fair to say that you have greatly offended me with your comment regarding my Father. I am sure that if you have thought about it you would realise that saying such a thing about a war hero is beyond the pale. This is nothing to do with politics, I am sure you would feel the same if someone made a similar comment, regardless of their allegiance.

I have posted this comment as it would be petty and small minded not to. Should you wish to post further comments, please post a comment on the London Patriot site under your previous comment, stating that you now accept that previous comment was incorrect and you apologise. That will be the end of the matter.

As to general comments, I have reviewed my moderation policy. Whilst in the past, I have allowed more or less anything, in future I will ask people to try and stick to the topic of a particular blog. If it's about libraries, try and make the comment about libraries.

This isn't a Stalinist attempt to dictate, I just think that if people want to start their own campaigns, they should start their own blogs. Clearly there are a few people with plenty to say about certain issues and that would be the appropriate forum.

S Curry said...

I have also sent a humble apology to the London Patriot regarding your Father not sure when it will published but it is in the one most recent articles.

I have decided for the sake of commonsense and decency not to put out any of the strong anti-lib dem material that was planned to be distributed in Mill Hill.

You have a local Business that helps keep youngsters out of trouble and do not wish in the slightest to damage your good repertation.

I have drawn all of this to a close and will not be sending any more anti-lib dem comments for the time being.