Wednesday 16 June 2010

The Most awful monster in the world

When I was but a wee nipper, I became rather scared of a certain monster on Dr Who and started to have nightmares about it. My father, being a gruff outback Aussie, decided to cure me in the way only he could. He picked me up and told me to shut my eyes and under no circumstances open them till he told me to. He then carried me upstairs and I heard various strange sounds. Then I heard him light his lighter. He held my head and said "I am going to show you the most terrible monster in all the world, open your eyes now". In abject terror, my eyes opened to find my own reflection staring back at me, lit only by the light of his cigarette lighter. He then said "all of the worst atrocities imaginable have been committed by men, animals only kill out of instinct".

I thought it a rather odd thing and didn't really get it at the time. From time to time things happen though and it makes more sense, if you know what I mean.

No comments: