Tuesday 23 March 2010

Wham Bam thank you Sam Cam !

The big story this morning is the news that Samantha Cameron is pregnant. I think it's great news. She's one of eight children, David Cameron is one of four. They had a terribly sad personal tragedy when their child Ivan, who was severely disabled died. I am sure that this experience made David Cameron a better person. I happen to believe that children are a blessing and that a politician who has a large family and young children is far more likely to understand the needs and problems of other families.

When I heard the news, the first thing I thought was to hope that the baby is healthy. Given the problems with Ivan, she is in for a lot of worry hoping the baby is healthy. I am sure this will be foremost in the Camerons minds. Unusually all three party leaders, Cameron, Clegg and Brown have young families. They've all had issues, challenges and tears through their children. As a father of three, it has changed my perspective on life massively. I know all about the worry of finding schools, changing schools, the worry of sick children, the elation of your childrens success.

There has been a flood of cynicism on the radio this morning concerning the new addition to the Cameron family. I think that just shows what a sad, cynical lot we are. I can see no circumstances where I would ever vote Conservative (unless it was the only way to prevent a BNP win), but I am happy for the Camerons and I think we should all pray for the health of his new baby and the health of all other pregnant women and their children. I also think that when we cast our votes we should cast them for whatever party will build the best future for these children. I happen to believe that if Samantha Cameron wants the best future for her lovely new baby, she'd be far better off voting Lib Dem, not least because if the Lib Dems won, David could spend more time with his family. So if you want to do Sam Cam a favour, bear this in mind.

No comments: