Friday 19 March 2010

No More Heroes ........ Where are the Finchley boys now?

Whatever happened to Leon Trotsky? He got an Icepick, that made his ears burn ....

The Stranglers from 1977. You've no idea what effect this appearance on Top of The Pops had on me. Jean Jacques Burnel swatting flies with a newspaper when he was supposed to be miming the bass. At the time I was at Finchley Catholic High School, just embarking on what was to prove my final year at the school. The Stranglers hardcore fans were known as "The Finchley Boys". A bunch of herberts who suddenly had a purpose in life. "No More Heroes" was an anti anthem. A call to arms for all of us who were sick to death of being pushed around, told to respect people who deserved none (why did a vision of the face of Brian Coleman enter my head as I wrote this?).

I suspect that if the Stranglers hadn't appeared on Top of  The Pops singing No More Heroes in September 1977, I wouldn't be writing this blog now. I wonder what song in the charts today will still resonate with someone who is 14 today, in the year 2043 (When I was 14 in 1977, 2010 seemed a very long way away!). Maybe I'll ask my 14 year old Daughter the question and see what she has to say? As to the original Finchley boys? What are they doing now?

Enjoy your Friday Night. I'm off for a belated St Patricks night out at the Three Hammers with "Na Fianna" and a few friends. I'm rather hoping to sink a couple of pints of the good old black stuff !

3 comments:

Mr Reasonable said...

What a timely posting! Last night I went to see the Stranglers at Hammersmith Apollo. Having been a rebellious 17 year old in 1977 I found my self surrounded by nice respectable middle aged men, many of whom could have been a walking advert for Blue Harbour. The Stranglers may be a little older now but wow what an act. Singing along to Something Better Change, Always the Sun, and Nice and Sleazy does it bought flooding back the memories of my youth.All topped of by the final encore of No More Heros! I also took along my 13 year old son who loves some of the songs and was amazed by the energy of the gig. Old punks never die they just become angry old men!

Rog T said...

Hey Johnny, reading your post makes me kick myself for not getting a ticket. Mind you Na Fianna at the Hammers was a pretty good night as well. I dug out some old Stranglers vinyl today and it still sounds great.

Anonymous said...

The Finchley Boys are still going strong, yesterday 12th November 2016 they had a 40th Anniversary Tribute evening in Watford, and what a night that was

If you want to know more, contact Steve Hillier, you'll find him on the web