Monday 22 February 2010

Who will wipe your bum when you get old and infirm?

I had a most enjoyable morning yesterday. I was doing one of the things I enjoy most. I was having a row! One of the joys of being a candidate for the local elections is that you have to go out canvassing. Most people are actually quite nice and I've been surprised by how many read the blog. What was even better though was the guy who I had a chat with at around 1pm yesterday.  The Conversation went something like this (I'm "RT" an he's "MHR" (Mill Hill Resident).

Ding Dong.
RT : Hello, sorry to bother you.....
MHR : Your a Lib Dem, I can't stand Lib Dems.
RT : Ok, so I'll put that down on here and we won't bother you again.....
MHR : Hang on a minute, I think this Easyjet Council is a great idea. The Council does nothing for me, so why should I have to pay Council tax.
RT : Erm, you have a dustbin here, the council empties that?
MHR : Yes but I live on my own so I don't make much rubbish, do I?
RT: Yes but you get a single person discount don't you?
MHR : Yes but I've got no kids. Why should I pay for other peoples kids education?
RT : If we don't educate children, who will look after you when you get old?
MHR : I smoke and drink like a fish, I won't get old, I'll die before then.
RT : What if you don't die, what if you just have a stroke and are paralysed for twenty years, who'll look after you then?
MHR : I'd take an overdose
RT : If you were paralysed that would be impossible. Surely you'd want to have trained carers.
MHR : Yeah, well, I don't use any other council services.
RT : You've got a car? You use the roads?
MHR : Yeah and they are all falling to bits. The Council never even bothered to grit Goodwyn Avenue once during the snow.
RT : So you agree with me that the Council should spend more on roads maintenance and gritting?
MHR : Erm, I suppose you have a point. Why should I pay for parks and librarys and all that when I don't use them?
RT : Well I guess that comes back to educating youngsters doesn't it. Do you watch football?
MHR : Yeah, I'm a Gooner.
RT : So where will all of the next crop of footballers learn to play if there were no parks.
MHR : They're all French aren't they.
RT : That ain't great really is it? Don't you support the England team?
MHR : Well I suppose so.
RT : So who will you vote for if you don't like the Lib Dems
MHR : Mind your own business, but it ain't gonna be you mate.
Slam -  The Door shuts.

You can't win them all, can you? What it did bring home to me is how important it is for the council to get it right. If the council gets it wrong, it's not just your bins that won't get emptied. None of us like to think we'll be old and infirm and need someone else to wipe our bums. Conservative Mill Hill Councillor John Hart, famously said that of people receiving Council services "my arse needs wiping, and somebody from the council can come and do it for me". Sadly for many elderly and disabled residents with no families, that is the only option they have. That is why Leader of Barnet Council Lynne Hillans policy of abolishing sheltered housing is wrong.

That single quote, said on August 27th 2009 is the reason I am standing against John Hart for Barnet Council.I do wonder what John Hart thinks the elderly and the infirm should do when their bum needs wiping and they can't do it themselves?

No comments: