Saturday 12 December 2009

Wanted: Moat cleaner - best rates of pay apply !

Last night was our Thursday Football boys night out. Off we went to Hollywood Bowl in Finchley, then on to ASK for a meal and a few drinks. The guys I play 5 a side football with every week are a great bunch. They are pretty typical of the people who live in Mill Hill and so I thought there response to the news that I'm standing for the Lib Dems would be interesting. Anyone who has ever played a team sport will know that after a few drinks you soon find out what people really think.

"So when you kick us, can we launch a standards complaint" was the first quip. "When will you be getting your moat?" "I suppose you'll need a duck house for your pond" "When will you be getting a second home?" is a choice selection of the others.

I'd expect nothing less from my friends. A good wind up and a bit of healthy cynicism is healthy. I'm lucky in as much as I've got people around me who will keep me grounded and if I start developing the bubble of pomposity that some of our politicians have developed, they will take great pleasure in popping it. I've no interest in having a moat, a bell tower, a duck house or a flat in Westminster. I just want to make Mill Hill as nice a place as possible to live and have a council which does the best job it can. That will be the "bonus" that I'm looking for.

No comments: