Thursday 23 July 2009

Sheltered Housing Warden Cuts on London Tonight

Firstly thanks to Notthebarnettimes for bringing this clip to my attention, hat tip. I'm running a special series on this subject next week. The unedited "answers" from Mike Freer to my questions at the last council meeting. It is really worth reading Freer's answers. I asked 13 questions, so I'm posting his "answers" in 4 bit sized chunks.

I use the word answers with care. I'm sure you'll agree that they are nothing of the sort. If you are a Tory and you live in Finchley and you plan to vote for him, please read these carefully when they are posted. It may make you think again.

Anyway, here's what London Tonight had to say about Mr Freer and his warden cuts



It is worth noting that Don't call me Dave, who writes the Not the Barnet Times blog is a staunch Tory, albiet one who disagrees profoundly with Barnet Council Leader Mike Freer and his policies. It would be really easy for me as a Labour supporting blogger to simply label the Warden cuts as Tory cuts. The opposition of sensible Conservatives such as don't call me Dave, shows they are something different. They are incompetent policies from an incompetant ruling party lead by an incompetant man who wants to be an MP. A sensible and wise Conservative would realise that this policy is cruel, divisive and unpopular. They would realise that it actually attacking some core Tory voters among the elderly in sheltered accomodation.

Any Barnet Tories who don't follow Don't call me Dave's lead in vocal opposition to this policy are as culpable as Mike Freer himself, when people start dying as a result.

Mike Freer confirmed that the risk assessment for a policy where only 1/4 of the staff will be retained, in different roles and grades is ONE PARAGRAPH LONG. The risk assessment for the toilets at my firm is longer. The first time an elderly person suffers a serious injury or death as a result of this policy, the Council will be sued for millions. Why? because they didn't do a risk assessment. What will happen then? A Council officer will be sacked as a sacrafice and the taxpayer will pick up the bill. There is a term for changing care provision without a risk assessment. It's called negligence.

No comments: