Wednesday 22 July 2009

Barnet Homes : Barnet's most bizarre email exchange

I mentioned a while ago that a Mr Ron Muller, who is a resident of Barnet Homes in sheltered warden housing, had sent me a stack of stuff regarding issues he's had regarding his accommodation.

One of the exchanges Mr Muller sent me was regarding an incident where Mr Muller was told video equipment had been installed, evidence reviewed and his complaints dismissed as a result. After further prompting from Mr Muller, it turned out that the camera wasn't installed and there was no evidence to justify dismissing his claim. In short he'd been told a pack of lies. In the letter of explanation from Barnet Homes (Dated 7 Dec 2005, which I have a photocopy of) to Mr Muller, a senior officer told him:-
"I was unable to clarify exactly who was responsible for the misinformation. I will however be speaking to both officers concerning the matter to ensure that they fully understand the importance of providing accurate information to residents.

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and allowing me time to thoroughly investigate the matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to discuss this matter further".
It is clear that there has been a complete breakdown of trust between Mr Muller and Barnet Homes. As Barnet Homes have admitted giving Mr Muller misinformation, wheras he seems to have been completely straight and honest in his delaings, I have to conclude that the evidence shows that Barnet Homes have treated Mr Muller in a rather poor manner (I was tempted to post the scanned letter here, but I really don't think it's fair to all of those employees named, as I've not heard their side of the story).

Years ago I went on a management training seminar run by one of America's top businessmen. He said "Your most difficult customer is your most valuable assett, because they will tell you all the flaws in your organisation, that everyone else will try to hide from you". I've always borne this in mind and found that often "the reason they are being so difficult is because they are right".

My challenge to the CEO of Barnet Homes is this. Visit Mr Muller, spend half an hour listening to his complaints. If at the end of that time, you think he has been dealt with as you would wish to have dealt with, email me and tell me why. I'll stick your email up here unedited (unless it has rude words, slander or anything else illegal in), with no comment from me whatsoever, other than an explanation & a link here. You'll make me look like a prize lemon and as a sign of my repentance, I'll donate a £100 of my hard earned wonga to any registered charity you like. If you find he's got a valid point, then you can address it and I suspect that you'll have done more than £100 of good, so it's a completely one way deal. Even if you don't want your letter posted here, I'll still donate the £100 if you can look me in the eye and tell me Mr Muller has been properly treated. Having seen the fox feeding email exchange, I can honestly say I think my money is safe.

Can't say fairer than that can I?

No comments: