Monday 1 June 2009

Urgent : Barnet Tories Sheltered Housing Decision

I was most alarmed to read Lib Dem Councillor Duncan MacDonald blog concerning the Councils decision on sheltered housing wardens. I suggest you read what he has to say. He sums up my feelings in this paragraph :-

Whilst the retention of the alarm system is welcome this options does not recognise the fundamental value of site based wardens. Having recently had to visit my Aunt in Scotland who is in a sheltered housing scheme I can personally vouch for the value of site based support. Without it my Aunt would be in a nursing home at much greater expense. I really don’t care if the current system does not meet some strategy or target. It works very well and is well liked and valued by residents of sheltered housing schemes. The money can be found for this and I have plenty of suggestions as to where it can be obtained starting with the scrapping of multiple special responsibility allowances for Councillors.
There are two Council By-elections this week. I just hope and pray that the voters in these wards send the Council a strong message. After reading Vicki Morris blog about Tory Lynn Hillan's crude attempts to bully a local Jewish charity into silence, I cannot believe that Edgware's voters will sit back and passively let this happen.

I guarantee that the one thing which will focus the minds of the Council Cabinet is the thought of losing their majority and their beloved allowances. I say this to the thousands of decent Tory voters in Edgware and Totteridge. If the Tories lose BOTH seats, they will still have a majority on Council. This is your chance to send a powerful message WITHOUT losing them the Council. If you disagree with the policy on Sheltered housing, this is a unique chance to tell them. In the long run, you might be saving their bacon !

No comments: