Monday 8 June 2009

Crumbs of comfort on a bad day


The Euro election results were bad. A friend suggested to me that they were "as bad as they could be". At this point I had to say that we have to get this in perspective. For me, as a Labour supporter, a Tory win is always disappointing. I disagree with many of their policies, but we all live to fight another day. My main worry was that the BNP would make a major advance. If ever they had an opportunity, this was it. The system of PR favoured minor parties of protest. The MP's scandal had disaffected many main stream party voters and the major parties had run a non campaign. What happened? In London, my patch, they got comprehensively rejected. They came 6th and got no MEP's. If they couldn't get a seat in this climate, then my faith in the common sense of Londoners, has been completely vindicated. As to Nationally, they got a seat in the North West and a seat in East Anglia. Whilst this is highly disappointing, it is hardly a massive endorsement of their policies. If this is the best they can do in this climate, then it seems unlikely that they have any future whatsoever.

My advice to Nick Griffin, Leader of the BNP? Do you really want to waste your whole life persuing such a hopeless mission. You claim to be the voice of Britain, but no one likes you. You are a failure. As such you should rethink. You should turn your undoubted talents to something where they might actually benefit society and help people. If I were you I'd get a job working exterminating wasps nests for the Council. That way you could indulge in mass exterminations and a few people might actually appreciate your efforts.

No comments: