Friday 24 April 2009

Child abuse

**** This blog has been edited since first published. The author of the blog which I refer to in it has claimed that by reproducing his rantings, I've breached his copyright. As I'd generally support an artists copyright and protection of revenue, given my job, I've removed the paragraphs. I've taken the view that I really can't be bothered arguing with said individual as on reflection he really has nothing to say which I want to propogate. I've added his now deleted comment to the end of the blog, as I don't want his name appearing. Personally, I don't mind my blog being quoted as I stand by what I say and if it portrays me in a poor light so be it - anyway, I've tried to paraphrase it so you get the drift ******

Recently I deleted several comments on my blog. I didn't do this because I took exception to the comments. I did it because when I looked at the blog which the author of the comments was writing I found it to be offensive in the extreme. Having had another look at the blog today, I thought that I really should further clarify my views on the subject. First let me quote the NSPCC's website on the subject of child abuse.

Definition

Physical abuse includes hitting, shaking, kicking, punching, scalding, suffocating and other ways of inflicting pain or injury to a child. It also includes giving a child harmful substances, such as drugs, alcohol or poison. If a parent or carer reports non-existent symptoms of illness in a child, or deliberately causes illness in a child, this is also a form of physical abuse.

The NSPCC believes that hitting children is wrong whatever the circumstances. It is emotionally and physically harmful and sets a bad example to children. What's more, it isn't even a very effective way of encouraging better behaviour. The NSPCC has a range of advice on managing children's behaviour without smacking.

The effects on children

Physical abuse can have long-term effects on a child's health and development. It can cause physical injury, brain damage or disability and may lead to children developing emotional, behavioural or educational problems. For some children, these difficulties can continue in adulthood. For example, people who were physically abused as children may have problems with personal relationships and they may be more likely to treat their own children abusively. The child's age, the frequency of the abuse and how long it has been happening, all influence how much they will be affected by it. But sometimes a severe isolated incident can affect a child as badly as on-going abuse.
Now I'm not an expert on the subject, but I believe the NSPCC are. I fully accept their definition.

The author of the blog posted a rebuttal of me today (in amongst another blog on a different subject). He felt unfairly labelled a supporter of abuse of children for simply having a humourous "Terry Thomas" like picture of a child being beaten. He felt that pinkos ow had it in for him (ie Me).


Well firstly I do not consider a picture of a child being physically restrained and smacked to be funny - full stop. Secondly, that was far from the only thing on the blog entry which I found to be offensive. The title was "SMACK UP MY BRAT". The point he made was that


In the good old days kids were beaten with all manner of impliments yet we still won two world wars. He made the point repeatedly that the kids weren't smacked they were properly beaten.
The crowning glory was along the lines that :-

Kids today are lazy fat & useless & if they were all given a good beating everyone would be much happier.

Is this funny? I don't think so. Even if it is meant to be, there are people who will take it as a rallying cry to justify things that I don't think can ever be justified. I actually think that the author of this post is inciting violence against children. Whilst I know for a fact that inciting violence against racial or religious groups is illegal, I'm not sure about this weakest and most defenceless group in society.

The way to prevent future "Baby P" cases is to educate parents and carers that violence against children is never acceptable. As to the threat of a cease and desist notice. I really hope one arrives because that will tell me who to report to the police for incitement. I think that a test case would be a very good idea in this field. Maybe then next time someone suggests that a "beating", as described above, is a positive part of parenting, they may think twice. The author of this post isn't just advocating a mild slap, but a fully fledged beating.

I'll let you draw your own conclusion as to whether I'm a humourless, pinko, namby pamby parent or just someone who believes in treating children with decency & respect. Oh and as to the charge that beatings are the way to combat childhood obesity, one of my children is a National swimming champion, with high self esteem and great self belief. I honestly don't think this would be the case if I'd beaten the living daylights out of my children. I certainly don't want them to grow up thinking that their father is a violent psychopath.

Here's the authors comment which I deleted :-

Mr Tichborne, it has been brought to my attention that you have copied a substantial portion of an original work and reproduced it here. As a writer, I take breaches of copyright very very seriously. While I frankly don't care about your opinion on my work or your consideration as to whether it is humorous or in bad taste, I do expect you - as a creative - to respect the rights attached to my work. You have excessively quoted my work without due credit or permission, and as such are in breach. I would therefore respectfully ask you to remove it immediately. If you chose not to, I will most certainly take further action. However, hopefully you will show respect for my legal rights.

Thank you.

5 comments:

pat said...

I enjoy your blog; I read all the barnet ones. They pass many a dull hour here at town hall hq.

In this instance, I must say I think youve called it wrong. It is funny.

Go on, be a big man and post a link, please?

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you haven't posted a link? How on earth is violence against a kid funny or entertaining? Wanting our kids to have dignity doesn't make us pinkos.

Rog T said...

Pat,

I won't be posting a link because in my opinion (and I may be wrong but we have to stand by our beliefs), this person is giving a green light to the violent abuse of children. Maybe he thinks it's funny. If a single person takes the blog as "permission" to beat a child senseless because they won't do what they are told, that is a crime. In all honesty I can't allow my blog to be part of that process.

pat said...

RogT, I appreciate your concerns and your right to stand by your beliefs. I read the bits you quoted and could see some tongue in cheek attitude. I found the piece and read the whole thing.

Having done that, two things struck me. Firstly, it certainly doesnt condone or justify violence against children. Also, you have been very selective in your quotes.

To say it promotes abuse iis like saying a blog that says 'when I was child we couldn't afford three meals a day, and children might learn lessons by going a day without food' promote famine.

I also think that because of how youve quoted it, you are doing all the things you attack in your usually very good blog. You attack the local press and the council (i'm not defending them) for spin, but your post is spin and I think out of context.

There is things in your posts which could be taken the same way.

I respect your right to do what you want in your blog, but there is a touch of hipocracy (spelling?) to your reaction.

I'll leave it there.

Rog T said...

Pat,

I read the piece several times before writing my piece. As far as I'm concerned

a) It's not funny
b) It condones and promotes the violent assault of children

Anyway maybe I'm just a humourless pinko, so just in case, I've asked the NSPCC for an opinion. If they say I've got it wrong, I will donate £100 to whatever cause the author chooses, even if it's the Mike Freer beer find.

If they agree with me then I'll post that and hope the author does the decent thing. Can't say fairer than that, can I?