Monday 13 April 2009

Barnet Eye - World music special

When MTV first arrived on the scene, I was truly thrilled. These days, as I watch my children gawp at wall to wall bland videos, I'm not so sure. As a teenage punk, I was always looking for new ideas and influences. Some forms of music are not always easy to get into, but often turn out to be well worth the effort. Here are a few of the gems I've turned up on Youtube by some truly great artists. Hope you enjoy my little trip around the world. Ali Akbah Khan was my dearly departed business partner, Ernie Ferebee's favourate Indian classical artist. He'd always listen to a cassette of his Raja's in the morning when he was yearning for his days driving buses to the subcontinent for Budget Bus tours. Fela Kuti's music got me into African music. Ebba Grön were the first Swedish punk band I saw in Stockholm. Watched them in the company of the great Billy Duffy, lead guitarist of the Cult, fellow Manchester City fan and then touring Sweden with Theatre of Hate. Finally the mighty Pogues at T&C in 1988 with the dearly missed Kirsty & Joe Strummer. Enjoy !

Asia - Ali Akbar Khan - Marwa 01


Africa - FELA KUTI live! - Don't Gag Me (Je'nwi T'emi)


Sweden - Ebba Grön - Totalvägra


Irish London - The Pogues (with Kirsty & Joe)

No comments: