Sunday 15 March 2009

My Top 5 Reggae tracks of all time


1 - The Harder they come - Jimmy Cliff. Great track from a great film. The film would be in my all time top 10 as well






2. Dirty Pieces of Silver - Misty in Roots - A great track from a great band. Most underrated. First saw them at the Stonebridge Park Rock against Racism gig. In my opinion the best British reggae band




3. Stop that Train - Clint Eastwood and General Saint. A joyous track from the Greensleeves label. If you want a great introduction to reggae cehck out the Greesleeves Sampler album, featuring this track





4. Vietnam - Desmond Dekker. People always associate Desmond, The Grandfather of Reggae with his hit "The Israelites". I think Vietnam is a much better track.




5. Africa Must Be Free Dub - Augustus Pablo. The man is a genius. This is a album to chill out and Enjoy.






My first musical love is Punk rock. The other genre of music I spent much of my teenage years listening to and I still love is Reggae. I've always felt that the genre never got the recognition it deserved. Anyway if you love reggae music, hope you liked my selection. If you don't - check these tracks out and maybe you will !

1 comment:

Don't Call Me Dave said...

I can’t listen to Desmond Decker’s Israelites song without thinking of the advert for Maxell cassettes “Me ears are alight”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxELSzay2lc