Monday 16 March 2009

The Hendon Residents Forum - 16/03/2008

So off we go again to the Hendon Residents Forum. A couple of big surprises. Firstly no Councillor Brian Gordon. The meeting was chaired by his able understudy, Councillor John Hart. The other, even more surprising absentee was Mrs Cohen, who has had a long running battle with a difficult neighbour. Maybe she only asks questions when Councillor Gordon is there?

Anyway due to childcare issues, I turned up late and I missed the bit I really wanted to hear. These were David Miller's questions about the Leader Listens blog. I suspect that Councillor Hart is ot too interested in political blogs, be it mine, David's or the glorious leaders. I suspect that he'd prefer to be read the news by a courier from the Indian Rifles division off of scrolled parchiament. I suspect that Councillor Hart is the only Councillor in Barnet who could answer an angry resident from Burnt Oak complaining about the cages on the streets by telling us that he was born near where the vegetable seller in Burnt Oak came from, that the vegetables were of the finest quality and that he rather admired people who worked hard.

It certaily was a fine crowd. Far more in Algenon Road, than at Broadfields school for the previous meeting. This was despite a rather late announcement. Various residents complained that the meeting was poorly advertised. Councillor Hart noted that "all of the usual suspects seemed to find out about it". One resident suggested taking a register and emailing those who came about future meetings. Councillor Rayner (Hale Ward) leapt up "Fine idea, I second that". I could just imagine Councillor Gordon taking the register "Miller, can't you ever show up late for a change" "Tichborne, we were hoping you'd decided to not grace us with your presence and as for Tucker...."

Anyway onto business. I arrived as question 12 was being discussed, with my 8 year old son i tow (none too chuffed by the prospect). On to question 13. Rats. Lets face it, after the nuclear war, we'll be gone, they will rule the world. It seems that even Councillor Hart's own abode is overrun. He informed us that Mrs Hart thought they were squirrels. He knew better "Squirrels don't have teeth like that". It seems that the bins at the Quadrant were overrun. Councillor Hart ordered Mr Murray to take matters in hand. A resident stood up to announce the solution "Chilli Powder, they don't like it, sprinkle it everywhere". Sadly, having worked in Brick Lane and seen the bins, I think our friend was mistaken. Another resident suggested "Don't feed the birds" Councillor Hart suggested that the communication team should get on the case. In a sideswipe he said "Mr Miller seems to think they get paid a lot of money, so maybe they should do something useful". Another resident suggested that Barnet rats knew how to operate lifts. Councillor Hart liked this idea. "I think we have the finest rats in London" He chuckled. As with many things, I suspect that this is a comment only Councillor Hart could get away with.

Questio 14 was about window replacement in West Hendon. It seems that 12 homes were left out. Councillor Hart suggested that the residents association liaise with Councillor Julie Johnson to get an assessor back. Another resident complained that Councillor Johnson did all the work and Lynn Hillan took all the praise. Councillor Hart chuckled "That's Politics, you know". He then went on to say that Councillor Johnson was a fine councillor. I rather suspect that Councillor Hart prefers the hard working back bench councillors on all sides than some of his more high profile colleagues (not that he'd tell me).

Then we had a spate of questions from Mr Heaphy about the Burnt Oak shops and cages. Mr Heaphy is upset. Councillor Hart explained that the council had done it's best. Mr Heaphy was not impressed. A resident queried the Council's answer that one such cage was "partially legal". Councillor Hart was just about to launch into a bawdy joke, when he thought better of it and batted it to his Council officer. Mr Heaphy stated that Burnt Oak was like "Beiruit on a good day". At this point I nearly stood up to berate him. On a good day, Beiruit is the playground of the Middle East. My Dad lived there for a few years and said it was the finest city on earth. The trouble is Beirut has ot had so many good days recently. I suspect that Councillor Hart also wanted to make this point, but refrained. It seems that the council think they've done a good job with the cages and the residents dont. I suspect that we've not heard the last of this.

On to questio 18, the one I'd come for. Pavillion Way playing fields. As I'd missed the deadline for questions, I thought I'd sneak my question in under this one. We heard how Councillor Johnson and Hart had a cunning plan. More praise for "our Julie" from Councillor Hart. It seems that something will be done. Anyway, seizing the opportunity, I asked about the appalling state of the Burnt Oak leisure Centre football pitches. Councillor Hart was suitably upset. Mischieviously he said "Ask your Burnt Oak Councillor to take this up". I responded "Councillor Hart, I'm a Mill Hill resident". Sharp as a needle he shot back "Then you are lucky to have an excellent Councillor to deal with this for you". He also informed me that he used to be the President of Watling Club, where my (now asleep) son, who had tagged along, plays football. He said "They got rid of me when I lost my seat", more in sorrow than anger.

Councilor Rayner stated that he often visited the Burnt Oak Leisure Centre. I asked if he'd ever checked out the state of the Pitches. He looked a bit embarrassed and said "No". He said that he would bear this in mind in future - fair comment.

With that, it was time to make my excuses and leave. My son was dozing off and wanted his dinner. As we left he said "Dad, don't bring me next time". I suspect that he thinks the adult world is rather strange, where people spend 20 minutes discussing rats in Hendon when they could be zapping dinosaurs on the Xbox.

Like the usual chairman, Councillor Hart had done a good job. Residents attend these things because they are fed up. If they leave with a feeling something might get done, then the process is worthwhile. Councillor Hart makes a good show of making us feel something might get done, if there is a practical solution. Really that is all we can ask of him as chairman. Let's just hope we get some action !

5 comments:

Citizen Barnet said...

I arrived too late to defend my petition on Future Shape, calling - again - for better information on it to be provided to the residents. This was poor form on my part, but I was doing something else worthwhile to make me late: attending a consultation meeting on the council's proposal to axe sheltered housing onsite wardens and replace them with a 'floating' warden service that will provide 10% of the coverage that the current scheme does... you can read more on my blog.

I'm sorry I missed those items you talk about Roger; I arrived in time for a debate about the controlled parking zones in West Hendon. I don't drive, so I don't get uptight about these, but I can understand that other people do. I kind of hope that the degree of organisation residents can display around CPZs will stand them in good stead for campaigning in later life: such as when they have to defend their own 'services for the elderly'. I hope I'm right.

Councillor Hart said something else this evening which I suspect that only he could get away with (although I'm not sure that he should), when one resident talked about a Barnet resident from Italy who had waited 14 years for a council house and was still waiting. 'Well he hasn't got enough points then, or whatever it is,' said Hart. 'If he's not happy he can go back to Italy.'

The Burnt Oak cages: there is a sub-text to this, which the Beirut comment highlights. Burnt Oak residents know that the cages have mostly been built by immigrant shopkeepers: Afghans, Iranians, Iraqis, Kurds, Sri Lankans... and so on. When people moan about the cages, sure, they might be irritated by the fact that the pavements are made much narrower by the cages, but I think some of them are actually exercised by the fact that there are so many 'foreigners' in Watling Avenue.

Myself, I tend to think that they are bringing life to an area which could be pretty dead without them. The shops on Watling Avenue thrive, and hopefully a way can be found to make Burnt Oak thrive. I have to say that it is the ugliest place I've ever lived, and at least the shops bring life and colour... and cheap fruit and veg!

Rog T said...

Vicki,
One thing I'll give John Hart credit for is that he made the point that his greengrocer was hard working and an asset to the community and a few boxes on the pavement is not a problem.

I suspect his comments about the italian on the waiting list were of the Norman Tebbit get on your bike Tory level rather than a darker Xenophobic level. Hart is an old school Tory, what you see is what you get. I'd personally rather have that than some of the doublespeak we get from a few of his colleagues.

Crusty said...

So when will there be a Mill Hill residents forum?

Rog T said...

Richard,

Hendon covers Mill Hill.

Cheers
Rog

Crusty said...

Well that proves the point about it being poorly advertised.